The search terms report is one of the most dominant sources of data in PPC campaign. It’s a great way to get an inside look at consumer behavior and still do something that’s really useful and necessary for its accounts, by adding negative keywords and finding ideas for new keywords. The Search Terms report includes all statistics aggregated at the search terms level, one column per combination of search terms.
Identify new search terms with high potential, and add them to the keyword list. Look for search terms that aren’t as relevant to the business, and add them as negative keywords. This can help to avoid spending money showing its ad to people who aren’t interested in it.
Knowing which search queries triggered the ads and how they performed makes it easy to optimize the search campaign and save money by adding keywords. In this post, shows the steps to take in order to pull these reports, analyze and take actions on them.
Accessing the Search Terms Report
The search term report is disreputable hard to find, so take look through the process of generating the report for Google.
AdWords can generate a report with all search terms that were used by multiple people and received clicks in the past 30 days. All other search terms, along with those from the last day, will be summed up in the ‘’other search terms’’ row.
To generate AdWords search terms report:
- Click the Campaign
- Click the Keywords
- Click the Details
- Select All from the drop-down.
- Click the download button to export the data.
Find New Keyword Opportunities
The search term report is full of new keyword opportunities, especially if the campaign is full of broad and phrase matched keywords.
To find keyword opportunities in the report:
- Filter the report so only broad and phrase match keywords are being shown. This way can skip the exact match keywords that are already in the campaign.
- Sort by highest clicks or highest conversions to see which queries are performing best.
- Starting from the top, review the search queries in each row. Look at their CTR and conversion rates and compare them to other rows to gauge the quality of the keyword.
- Note which keywords are performing well and add them as exact match keywords. This way can ensure the ads display for these queries in the future.
For other ways to discover keyword opportunities, read more at Guide to the Google Keyword Planner.
You can read the full blog here.