Do you feel like link building is dead since Panda and that if you try you will be wasting your time? Well, don’t worry about it. There are still dozens… ok hundreds of ways to build quality links that are very beneficial to your site. Cudos to Sujan Patel who wrote an article on Searchenginejournal.com about this very thing entitled 101 Ways to Link Build in 2012.
I read the lengthy yet very informative list and wanted to share my top five along with my thoughts on those.
1. Create internal links between posts – Adding internal links between posts on your site isn’t just a great link building tactic, it’s also a good way to get your readers to engage further with your website.
Links leaving your site are good because it causes a connection to other people but having links lead to your old articles and referencing those is also wonderful. It gets them to explore your site and isn’t too bad for your for traffic reports.
2. Draft controversial blog posts – There’s nothing new about this technique, but its viability as a link bait option still stands. People love to argue online, which means that your controversial blog posts will be linked to far and wide.
Nothing gets a person to respond to your post or share more than bringing up controversy. Every Facebook post I ever make that is somewhat controversial, I have a hundred likes and fifty two I hate yous and this is why. After that those likes respond and defend me. Then I compare that to other posts I make that are funny or interesting and I get five like and two comments. Controversy brings traffic, many know that isn’t much of a secret.
3. Ask power users to share your social network updates – If your audience is small, asking power users to share your content with their followers can boost your linking opportunities.
So many times people will read something and think it is great… and that’s it. They do nothing about it. At the end of your article, if you ask them to share their thoughts or pass this along to their friends, not all but many of them will. This will spread your content so much further and in a perpetual matter.
4. Donate to charities that list donors on their sites – Instead of sponsoring events, you can also build backlinks by donating to entire charities that include donor backlinks on their websites.
I had to laugh a little bit at this one. Donating is a great thing to do but I found it funny that it specifically said to do one to a site that will list you. It kind of gets rid of the whole charitable part of it but that’s ok. It’s better than not donating to anything. However, it definitely is a very effective way to get more traffic and people will see your good interaction with the community and lead them to your site.
5. Write guest articles for other blogs – As a guest author on other sites, you’re usually entitled to at least one link back to your main site.
This is listed under the traditional ways to gain links. It is a very beneficial one to take part in and just because it is old, doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. This creates a strong network between other webmasters and sites. You gain each other’s followers by doing this along with that ‘at least one link’.
These are just some of my favorites. The article by Mr. Patel was loaded with great information and ideas. Take a look and see for yourself, it will definitely help your hamster wheel get rolling if you feel like you have been stuck in a rut not knowing what to do.